Climb Out of the Darkness ® Local Grants Program
2016 Grant Cycle
Overview: Postpartum Progress’ Climb Out of the Darkness® is the world’s largest event raising awareness of maternal mental illnesses like postpartum depression, postpartum anxiety & OCD, postpartum PTSD, postpartum psychosis, postpartum bipolar disorder, and pregnancy depression and anxiety. The event was created by and benefits Postpartum Progress Inc., a 501c3 nonprofit organization that raises awareness and supports pregnant and new moms with these illnesses.
Purpose: Postpartum Progress believes it is important to support local organizations that are truly making a difference for moms in their communities by providing direct services and support. Each year our Board of Directors elects to donate a percentage of funds raised by Climbs held in selected states to local, independent, registered (and in good standing with the IRS) nonprofit organizations that provide direct services to mothers.
Eligibility: To be eligible for consideration, an organization must be defined as tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Organizations must provide direct services to mothers or programs that improve services to mothers. For example, programs such as support groups, or those that lead community network development (building up systems of referral between OBs/pediatricians/PCPs or hospitals and reproductive psychiatry specialists). Postpartum Progress does not consider requests for support for organizations that are considered chapters or affiliates of a larger, national organization.
- In-person support groups, especially in locations not yet served
- Programs or projects aimed at providing support or services to underserved women (for example: teen moms, mothers of color, low-income women)
- Provider training
What We Do Not Fund:
- Individual support
- Endowments or capital campaigns
- Conference costs
- Lobbying efforts or political campaigns
How to Apply: Postpartum Progress will only accept requests submitted via our online application. The online application can be found here: 2016 Grant Application Application will be accepted beginning Thursday, October 1st at 10:00am ET.
Award Calculations: In 2015 grants 8 Local Grants were awarded in the $400 to $3600 range. In 2016 Postpartum Progress anticipates awarding up to 10 Local Grants. Selected organizations will receive 15% of funds raised by Climbs in their state. Selected organizations will be given the contact information for their local Climb Out of Darkness® event manager and will be encouraged to participate in any way they can, whether through raising awareness, participating in the Climb, and/or fundraising.
Period: Postpartum Progress awards grants for one year. Multi-year proposals will not be considered.
- Cycle opens 10:00am ET on Thursday, October 1, 2015.
- Applications must be received by 5pm on Friday, November 20, 2015.
- Funding determination and notifications will be made in mid December 2015.
- Check disbursements will take place mid-August (pending the timely receipt of signed acknowledgment form).
2016 COTD Local Grant Application Questions
- Briefly describe your organization’s purpose/history/mission (150 word max).
- Organization’s current operating budget.
- Did Postpartum Progress provide funding for your organization in 2013, 2014 or 2015?
- Did your organization participate in a local Climb Out of Darkness® event in 2013, 2014 or 2015?
- Provide a detailed description of the specific program for which you are requesting grant funding from the Postpartum Progress (2,500 word max). At a minimum, please include:
- Description of project/problem, including the goal of the program and expected outcomes.
- A description of those who will be helped by the program (Women? Teen moms? Partners and families? The underserved? Minority moms? Healthcare providers?).
- The timeframe for the program.
- The number of people your program expects to serve and the geographic reach (cities, counties, regions of the state, etc.).
- Relevance of the project to the mission of the Postpartum Progress.
- If you are a current Climb grantee, and are reapplying for funding for the same program, in addition to 1 – 5 above, please include a detailed explanation as to why you seek continued funding, and what (if any) changes will be made to the funded program in 2016.
- How does your organization plan to measure the success/impact of the program? Please be as specific as possible, including evaluation methods (300 word max).
Once you submit the online application, you will be asked to submit the required documents/application materials:
- Current determination letter regarding tax-exempt status under Sections 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
- Most recent 990
- Organization’s current operating budget
- Program budget (if applicable)
To learn more about Postpartum Progress and Climb Out of the Darkness please visit http://postpartumprogress.org/climb-out-of-the-darkness/. Questions regarding the grant application process may be directed to Jasmine Banks, Program Manager for Climb Out of the Darkness, via email at email@example.com.