Postpartum Progress’ Climb Out of the Darkness® is the world’s largest event raising awareness of maternal mental illnesses like postpartum depression, postpartum anxiety & OCD, postpartum PTSD, postpartum psychosis, bipolar/peripartum onset, and pregnancy depression and anxiety. Climb Out of the Darkness is held on or near the longest day of the year annually to help shine the most light on perinatal mood and anxiety disorders. The event features mothers and others across the globe joining together to climb mountains and hike trails to represent their symbolic rise out of the darkness of maternal mental illness and into the light of hope and recovery. We can’t wait for Climb Out of the Darkness 2016, to be held Saturday, June 18th. Mark your calendars! Help us shine the light of hope with our words and our advocacy efforts so that our fellow mothers will receive better information and better treatment, and their new families will get off to the healthy and strong start they deserve. If you have questions or would like to lead or join a Climb or become a Climb sponsor, email us at [email protected].
Where Does The Money Go
- Free educational materials distributed upon request to obstetrician, therapy, psychiatry, support groups and pediatrician offices
- Programs like our award-winning blog, which had more than 1.6 million pageviews in 2014, and our private support forum for struggling moms, which supports more than 2,100 mothers around the world
- Our annual Warrior Mom™ Conference which prepares survivors of perinatal mood and anxiety disorders to become local peer advocates for struggling moms in their own communities and to raise awareness
- Advocacy for better support, less stigma and increased services for perinatal mood and anxiety disorders
Why Should I Support This Cause?
- Because more women will suffer from postpartum depression and related illnesses in a year than the combined number of new cases for men and women of tuberculosis, leukemia, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, lupus, and epilepsy.
- Because only 15% of the nearly 1 million women who get these illnesses in the US alone each year ever get treated.
- Because suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death in the first year postpartum.
- Because there’s very little funding to raise awareness and reduce stigma of maternal mental illness.
- In 2015, Climb Out of the Darkness had more than 2,500 registered participants on more than 150 teams in 45 states and 5 countries, and the event raised $230,000.
- In 2014, we had more than 1,500 participants on 115 teams and 100+ private family Climbs in 43 states and 8 countries, and our Warrior Moms raised more than $167,000 to support Postpartum Progress! It generated news coverage both nationally on outlets like CNN.com and the New York Times, and locally in newspapers such as the Baltimore Sun and on TV news stations including WCJB-TV (ABC) in Gainesville, FL, KDKA-TV (CBS) in Pittsburgh, PA, and WJZ-TV (CBS) in Baltimore among many others.
- In 2013, our very first Climb Out of the Darkness® had 177 participants in 40 states and 7 countries, and moms raised $40,000 for Postpartum Progress.
Climb Out of the Darkness® is a registered trademark of Postpartum Progress Inc.