Saturday, June 18, 2016
Postpartum Progress’ Climb Out of the Darkness® is the world’s largest event raising awareness of maternal mental illnesses like postpartum depression, postpartum anxiety & OCD, postpartum PTSD, postpartum psychosis, bipolar/peripartum onset, and pregnancy depression and anxiety. Climb Out of the Darkness is held on or near the longest day of the year annually to help shine the most light on perinatal mood and anxiety disorders. The event features mothers and others across the globe joining together to climb mountains and hike trails to represent their symbolic rise out of the darkness of maternal mental illness and into the light of hope and recovery. Help us shine the light of hope so that moms will receive better information and better support, and their new families will get off to the strong start they deserve.
To see where all the Climbs are being held: http://postpartumprogress.org/climb-out-of-the-darkness/find-a-climb/
To join a Climb team or create your own (registration is FREE): https://www.crowdrise.com/COTD2016
If you have questions or would like to lead or join a Climb or become a Climb sponsor, email us at email@example.com.
Where Does The Money Go
- Tens of thousands of free educational materials distributed upon request to obstetrician, therapy, psychiatry, support groups and pediatrician offices
- Programs like our award-winning blog, which had more than 2.6 million pageviews in 2015, and our Private Support Forum for struggling moms, which supports more than 5,000 mothers
- Training 400 survivors of maternal mental illness to be effective peer support leaders
- Our annual Warrior Mom™ Conference connecting peer advocates from across the country and around the world
- Advocacy for better support, less stigma and increased services for perinatal mood and anxiety disorders
- Learn more about our impact here.
Why Should I Support This Cause?
- Because more women will suffer from postpartum depression and related illnesses in a year than the combined number of new cases for men and women of tuberculosis, leukemia, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, lupus, and epilepsy.
- Because only 15% of the nearly 1 million women who get these illnesses in the US alone each year ever get treated.
- Because suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death in the first year postpartum.
- Because there’s very little funding to raise awareness and reduce stigma of maternal mental illness.
- Donate to any Climb team & support Postpartum Progress – click the blue “Donate” button here: https://www.crowdrise.com/COTD2016.
- In 2015, Climb Out of the Darkness had more than 2,500 registered participants on more than 150 teams in 45 states and 5 countries, and the event raised $239,000.
- In 2014, we had more than 1,500 participants on 115 teams and 100+ private family Climbs in 43 states and 8 countries, and our Warrior Moms raised more than $167,000 to support Postpartum Progress! It generated news coverage both nationally on outlets like CNN.com and the New York Times, and locally in newspapers such as the Baltimore Sun and on TV news stations including WCJB-TV (ABC) in Gainesville, FL, KDKA-TV (CBS) in Pittsburgh, PA, and WJZ-TV (CBS) in Baltimore among many others.
- In 2013, our very first Climb Out of the Darkness® had 177 participants in 40 states and 7 countries, and moms raised $40,000 for Postpartum Progress.
“At the Climb, a fellow PPOCD mama who is currently in the depths of the illness looked at me and said ‘We really aren’t alone. There are a lot of people here.’ Damn right, sister.”
“A dad told me that he came to the Climb because of the local newspaper article. He’d read it while in the bathtub with his sons and called his wife in to tell her about it. He said, ‘By the time she got in there, I was alone in the tub naked and crying because I couldn’t believe this event was happening. This is for MY family.’”
“Now, I feel less alone. Now, I feel less broken. Now, I see hundreds of moms and families standing up, and if just ONE person gets help because of the Climb, it’s worth it. But I know it won’t be one person. It will be countless people, and they will help others too. You have created a ripple effect that crushes stigma and kicks the darkness’s ass. Well DONE everyone. You are warriors!”
“Between Climb Out out and the outpouring of community support for people who have depression, I came to the conclusion today that having PPD puts us in our own elite club of badass humans who do incredible things to ensure our survival EVERY DAY. Rock on, warrior moms. If I could choose a club to join, this would be the one. Thanks for inspiring me.”
Climb Out of the Darkness® is a registered trademark of Postpartum Progress Inc.